Just A Little Advice For Mothers With Daughters

This post has nothing to do with photos, just a random thought I want to share with you all.

Are You Raising A Confident Daughter?

Having two daughters of my own, I often wonder how Isaac and I are doing with Self Esteem issues with Taylor and Tally. Believe me if your girls are still small and its not really been an issue yet, get ready because EVENTUALLY it will be. The world is just plain ruff on our girls.Everything from Super Models to Sports Illustrated bunnies grace the covers of magazines everywhere. Tally asked one day why all the people on magazine's look so perfect? I explained to her that its sorta like when Mom gets on her computer and photo shops out the flaws in pictures, that's what happens with the magazines. Nobody is perfect we all thankfully have flaws no matter what people "want" to think about themselves. This is the pure reason that Isaac and I years ago agreed that we would never subscribe to magazines that might make our girls feel bad about themselves. We hear people say its the pressure from guys... I tend to disagree and feel the MOST critical people are other girls? It's so hard for kids now days to keep up with "society's" view of beauty. Its down right harsh and couldn't be further from the truth.
I struggle daily trying with the example I set, the things I say and do in front of my own daughters. The clothes that I wear, only hoping that I'm sending healthy messages. If your a Mom you know that they are constantly watching us for guidance and wisdom. Thus far I feel both of our girls are on track and both in their own way are good confident kids. A good example being that the other day was "Super Hero Day" at Taylor's school(keep in mind shes now in middle school) Anyway, we get there and she is the only one dressed up. Isaac asked her before we left if she were the only one dressed up what are you going to do? Of course being Taylor she said "I'm going in!" That she did, all 75 pounds dressed up in her Red Power Ranger suite from when she was 6. Tally's the same way, she's a little quieter but fearless! I love that my girls are this way and hope that it remains throughout their lives. My sister in law Liz told me something before Taylor was born, she said "don't ever tell your girls their beautiful before you tell them how smart they are." This is SOOO true, My other sister in law Lori inspired us years ago with "Never say the F word in your house" (in this case the F word is the word fat) I'm so thankful for the strong women in my life that have had experience before me and shared them to help where they can. I love you ladies and think the world of you!

This post is just a reminder for all us Mom's of daughters. Especially the ones with little girls, you may think you know it all now but believe me you don't, before you know it your girls will be in Grade School and with a blink of an eye in Junior High. Start when your daughters are small, don't let time and the world give them a chance to feel less than who they are and who you know them to be. I'm so thankful for my daughters and what good strong girls they are. I love them with all my heart!

From one Mom to another here's to years of building self loving confident daughters!

Popular Posts