Alfred Hitchcock Silhouette Using Spot Metering

At my parents house hanging from one of their walls are a set of portraits of my sister and I that were done when we were little girls. Each of us had what I call an Alfred Hitchcock Silhouette done and I remember thinking as a kid every time I looked at it how stupid those dang things were. I didn't understand why anyone would waste their money on stuff like that?

Well.................... here I am about 25 years later doing the exact same thing to our three kids. As a parent I love the little tiny details that are shown in silhouette photography. The cute little chins the long eyelashes of our girls, the puckered pouty lips and the turned up noses that I refer to as kiss dips. I don't know exactly why but it must come from a maternal need to remember all I can about these amazing little people. When Isaac and I are old and senile at least we can look back at photos and remember the little things that we love and cherish about our sweet family.

So back to the title in which I referred to spot metering ( which was a component to these images.) I have had somes friends ask how I create certain images that I have had on the website. Let me say, I am totally humbled and excited that I have somewhat of a teeny tiny fan club that actually like my work!! Thanks guys your the best! So believe me when I say I am more than happy to share what I have learned for those that would like some tips. Hopefully I can help and don't sound like a blubbering idiot............ So I figured the times I remember what I actually did I'll be sure to post it:)

These images were shot in partial bright light in which I had each of the kids sit on the edge of a chair close to the very bright light source but not in it. This resulted in a silhouette like look once I snapped the shots. My camera was set to spot metering in aperture mode (usually I use manual but that day was playing with the aperture setting) I had an ISO of 250 a Shutter at 1/1000 and an aperture of F5.6. The images all came out with the silhouette of each of the kids staring at something they found bearable. For those that just are starting out that probably sounds more like a foreign language than anything. My advice to you is be patient and just play around with different modes and settings and see what you get. Play with variations of lighting indoor and out and slowly learn the lingo. My bestest friend "google" is great for that. Eventually it will come to you, (hey if I can somewhat get it, ANYONE can.) After I shot the images I threw them into photoshop and put on a few filters and a lens flare to each....... and voila.......... Our three Alfred Hitchcock babies were born!


If this were the real deal The Funeral March of a Marionette by Eounod would now begin playing...........................



Taylor age 11 suspected of sleeping with a kitten when they were supposed to be in their room
Photobucket


Tally age 10 accused of stealing the last ding dong out of the cupboard at midnight
Photobucket


Isaac Scott age 9 charged with breaking the (very expensive) vase while slam dunking the basketball in the family room during the Lakers vs Celtics game
Photobucket

Popular Posts